CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 6485 - Plas Rhiw Saeson House
NGR :- SH9010705140 (SH90NW)
Listed Building 18137 (II )
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- 17th century - House (Building - Intact )
A STONE WALLED L-SHAPED HOUSE WITH A CONSIDERABLE WEALTH OF MOULDED CEILING AND POST-AND-PANEL PARTITION DETAILS. THE CARPENTRY WOULD APPEAR TO BE NOT LATER THAN 1660. THERE ARE SOME EARLY 18TH CENTURY ADDITIONS.
The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database
Located in the valley bottom of the Afon Rhiw-saeson N of the hamlet of Pandy Rhiw-saeson. It stands slightly above its farm buildings, placed to the NW, and looks E over land, probably former gardens.
The house was the seat of the Owen family in the area since the C11, but the present building is largely of the early-mid C17, with a wing set at right angles, and further double roofed service extension dated 171 for Athelstan Owen of Rhiwsaeson, who
had married Anne Corbet of Ynysmaengwyn, Merioneth.
Coursed local rubble stone, with slate roofs. Slate hung to the rear. The present main range is of 3 storeys, 3 bays, with a late C19 4-panelled door and overlight within a small cantilevered gabled canopy. C19 timber windows of 6 panes with central iron
casement on a quadrant stay. Gable stacks. The forward wing, which could be earlier, is of 2 bays, with gable 5-light window replacing an ovolo moulded window referred to by Haslam. Door to front bay on side, with open timber porch. Cellar under the
central bay. Added to the side of the wing are two contiguous gabled service wings, the front having a semi-circular headed date stone reading ATHELSTAIN / OWEN:ESQR / WALL'D:THIS / HOVSE:ROUND / IN THE:YEAR / 1719. The first letter and last digit
unclear. The rear upper portion of this addition was probably a seed grain store.
Not accessible at time of inspection (August 1996). Said (see References below) to have the main front door opening into a later stair. To the left, in the main range, a parlour at the S end, later a kitchen, with bracket moulded cross ceiling beams.
The present kitchen in the forward wing has an ornate moulded ceiling and enriched faces to the posts. Post and panel partition with incised mouldings at junction of two ranges, with original doorway. Ceiling with counterchanged joists in main chamber
above. Roof is plain, with windbraces to the trusses over the main range.
Included as the main manor house of the area which remains well preserved and retains significant historic fabric of the C17 and later periods.
Haslam R, Powys 'Buildings of Wales' series, 1979, p 120;
RCAHM Wales files.
CPAT visit form , 1991 , ,
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
OS map , 1963 , ,
OS record card , 1978 , ,
RCAHM , 1973 , ,
Visit CPAT / 1991(/ /) - Residential
record created 12/02/90
, last updated 11/02/04
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2004 (and in part © Crown, 2004)
CM - 11/02/04 ( 16:23:43 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email email@example.com , website www.cpat.org.uk