CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 42080 - Plas esgair
NGR :- SH8813701058 (SH80SE)
Listed Building 18135 (II )
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- 18th century - House (Building - Intact )
The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database
The house is located in its own grounds approached by a long driveway from the road, approximately 550m N of Llan church.
Built about 1780 on a site occupied from an earlier date. It was heightened by one storey c.1820-30, reroofed and a verandah added.
Rubble stonework and a slate roof. Two storeys, later three, 3 bays, with a contemporary 4-bay rear service wing. Wide boxed eaves with sparse modillion brackets. Gable stacks. Main entrance at approach side at start of service wing; door in a glazed
screen, all with Gothic pattern glazing bars, and a similarly glazed door and screen on to the verandah at the opposite side. Twelve-paned sashes extending to near the ground on the ground floor, 9-pane to first floor, and 6-pane to top floor. A later
canted bay window occupies the right bay of the ground floor. Rear wing has 6-pane sashes. The verandah, probably altered, with timber posts supporting a slated roof, covers the 3 sides. Rendered extension to left, with canted ends.
Included as a well preserved gentry house in an area where such social distinctions are rare.
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
record created 25/09/01
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part © Crown, 2003)
CM - 15/11/03 ( 21:55:19 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email firstname.lastname@example.org , website www.cpat.org.uk