CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 42066 - Llanbrynmair Railway Station and house
NGR :- SH8967903055 (SH80SE)
Listed Building 18118 (II )
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- 19th century - Railway station (Building - Intact )
The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database
The railway passes to the N of the village. The station is approximately 100m from the junction of the lane with the A470.
Llanbrynmair lies on the Newtown to Machynlleth railway line which was constructed following the Act of 1857, and became part of the Cambrian Railway network in 1864; the Londonderry's of Machynlleth were closely involved and the contactors were David
Davies and Thomas Savin. It was completed in 1862. Llanbrynmair station is an example of a rural station on this line, dated 1864, and therefore contemporary with the formation of the Cambrian Railway.
Single storey station with attached 2-storey stationmaster's house at the W end behind the long platform. Snecked bullnosed rubble construction with slate roof and stone chimneys with yellow terracotta pots, but one of red brick on the gable of the house.
Ornate cusped bargeboards to gable ends and to the front gable of the house - most retain their finials and pendants. The station has a 4-bay platform front set back under a canopied roof, with cross-frame windows and 4-panelled door to the right. The
front of the 'L'-plan stationmaster's house has an advanced gable with a 3-light cross window in the end and a similar gable treatment to the dormer gable on the main range set back on the right. Flat roofed extension attached to the W end of the house.
Not accessible at the time of inspection (August 1996).
Listed for its special interest as a well preserved rural station dating from the early years of the Cambrian Railway.
Baugham E P, A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain. Vol 11. North and Mid-Wales, 1980, pp 152-3.
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
record created 25/09/01
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part © Crown, 2003)
CM - 15/11/03 ( 21:55:11 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email email@example.com , website www.cpat.org.uk