CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 16652 - Bontdolgadfan bridge
NGR :- SH8864300208 (SH80SE)
Listed Building 18125 (II )
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- Post Medieval - Bridge (Structure - Intact )
2.1 Dolgadfan Bridge is first referred to in 1683x7. Translated, the Welsh name means 'the bridge at Cadfan's flat field'.
2.2 The bridge lay on the old drovers' route from Machynlleth to Welshpool. (Silvester, R J 1992c, 23).
The following is from Cadw's Listed Buildings database
At the centre of the hamlet of Bont Dolgadfan.
The bridge is located at the centre of the small former weaving community producing flannel and a rough cloth known as 'crimsi', and carried the important droveroad from the west to Talerddig over the Afon Twymyn until the opening of the Caersws to Cemmaes
Road turnpike in c.1821.
Probably C18. Built of local rubble stone, with a single segmental arch spanning from bank to bank where the river is confined to a narrow deep channel. One single ring of large stone voussoirs inset below a capping string flush with the spandrels,
rising without interruption to the parapet with a flush coping of large stone blocks.
The bridge has buttressing walls added on the upstream side.
Included as a well preserved early bridge on an important droveroad which formed the lifeline to this isolated rural community.
Jenkins J G, The Welsh Woollen Industry, 1669, p 125.
Cadw Listing database , 2000 , ,
Silvester, R J , 1992 , Montgomeryshire Historic Settlements , CPAT report 40 October 1992 .
record created 04/01/96
, last updated 04/01/96
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part © Crown, 2003)
CM - 15/11/03 ( 18:09:30 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email email@example.com , website www.cpat.org.uk