CPAT Regional Sites & Monuments Record
PRN 15709 - Llanbrynmair
NGR :- SH8989602830 (SH80SE)
Unitary authority :- Powys
Community :- Llanbrynmair
Prefered site type :- Multiperiod - Settlement (Multiple - Intact )
1.1 Llanbrynmair, on the A470(T) in western Montgomeryshire, is 15km east of Machynlleth.
1.2 The settlement stands on the east bank of Afon Rhiwsaeson, just above its confluence with Afon Twymyn. Dwellings have spread down onto the present valley floor from the terrace above and onto the far side of the Rhiwsaeson as well as towards Pont
Byrn-coch which bridges the Twymyn.
2.1 The name was until recently applied to the old village, just over 2km to the south-east, which is now simply called Llan (q.v.).
2.2 Tis stretch of the main road was constructed by a turnpike trust in the later 18th century. The Wynnstay Arms was erected on this route, Lewis stating in 1833 that the inhabitants of Llanbrynmair (now Llan) "obtain their letters from the Wynnstay
Arms, a posting house on the road to Newtown".
2.3 In 1841, only the inn and a single building opposite were depicted on the Tithe map.
3 Buildings and Archaeology
3.1 The Wynnstay Arms (PAR 7696) is an early-19th century, Grade II listed building.
4.1 Although prehistoric implements have been recorded from the parish, there is no recognisable archaeological interest in the vicinity of the settlement.
Lewis, S , 1833 , ,
Silvester, R J , 1992 , Montgomeryshire Historic Settlements , CPAT report 40 October 1992 .
Tithe Map map , 1841 , ,
record created 31/12/95
, last updated 12/01/96
The above data are supplied by CPAT in partnership with its Local Authorities and the partners of END, © CPAT SMR partnership, 2003 (and in part © Crown, 2003)
CM - 15/11/03 ( 15:46:53 ) - HTML file produced from CPAT's Regional SMR
Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust, Curatorial Section, 7a Church Street, Welshpool, Powys SY21 7DL.
tel (01938) 553670 , fax (01938) 552179, email firstname.lastname@example.org , website www.cpat.org.uk