Powys Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Glantwymyn in the county of Powys. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SH85850110.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 8448 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Pre 1868-1875)
Silurian, Upper Llandovery formation. There are 4 E-W lodes of lead ore. Mineralisation includes galena.
There is a shaft at the base of Ffridd Cwmbychan hill which is ventilated by two air shafts to the north-east SN86000011.
An isolated level to the south of the mine on the southern facing slopes of Mynydd Ty'r Sais can be seen at SN85490038 with a trial shaft 500m to the east.
There is a short length of former tram track from the level at SH85820115 to 2 ore bins and an associated short incline to a trial shaft to the east.
The power source for the largely destroyed dressing floors was probably the Nant Ty'r Sais. A single wheelpit is shown on the 1886 1st edition 25" map. From its position this probably facilitated pumping at the main shaft as well as crushing.
Two small reservoirs are shown on the 1886 map at SN85800115 and SN85820120 which provided water for the dressing floors.
2 ore bins are visible in association with a hand picking/washing area at SH85820115.
The dressing floors to the south are overgrown and largely destroyed by a trackway through the site. The only visible walls belong to a partitioned rectangular structure with mortared masonry south of the present trackway which conforms to the position of
the crusher house on the 1886 map SN85850190, and three E-W parallel walls in the north cutting of the trackway itself SN85850115. The 1886 map further shows two round buddles with an associated wheelpit, slime pits and ore bins south and west of the
A large deposit of slag and half smelted lead ore was recorded in 1872 and attributed to the Roman period. This has not yet been relocated.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.