Powys Metal Mines Survey
(also known as North Llangynog)
lies in the community of Llangynog in the county of Powys. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ05552656.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 8430 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Zinc/Copper (Mid 1840s-1883)
Ordovician Llangynog formation volcanics and metamorphic rocks. The main lode strikes E-W with zinc, chalcopyrite and galena mineralisation.
There are 5 former level entrances centred on SJ05422635 with stoping to the surface visible close to the upper portion of the slate quarry incline SJ05432649. A deep adit was entered close to Ty'n Y Twll cottage SJ05262635 and an infilled shaft can be
seen south of the slate quarry magazine SJ05382659.
In Cwm Glanhafon east of Craig Rhiwarth SJ06602730 there are three trial levels for lead which date to between 1751 and 1899 as well as remains of undated slate workings close to the public footpath.
There were presumably inclines to the shaft and levels but no remains could be seen. It is possible that the slate incline used an existing mine incline which communicated with lateral tramways contouring the hillside to the workings.
A leat from the Afon Eirth supplied water to a wheelpit on the dressing floors but has since been largely destroyed by housing development and road construction.
The dressing floors were nearly totally destroyed by building and the 1977 B4391 road improvements. The only survival is a portion of the wheelpit which is built into a modern dwelling.
The building foundations visible at SJ05612636, consist of large masonry blocks and beams and overall the structure seems too substantial to be related to the nearby farm buildings at Tan Y Graig though their precise function and relationship with the
mine, if any, are not clear. The structure may be related to the slate quarrying activity to the north.
There is also a cog wheel discarded on the hillside at SJ05502642 although this has probably travelled from the slate quarry.
Mine in use c17th to 19th centuries. Open stopes on upper slopes of Craig Rhiwarth, levels on lower slopes. Leat to dressing floors from cornmill upstream on Afon Eirth. (CPAT record card 1988)
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.