Powys Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Pantmawr)
lies in the community of Llangurig in the county of Powys . It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SN85258210 .
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 3673 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Pre 1845-1871)
Silurian mudstones with a single NNE-SSW striking vein and galena mineralisation.
By 1861 there was a deep adit and 2 levels. In 1864 a shaft was cut near the present A44 road. The remains of these workings are badly preserved with the shaft being infilled as well as the levels on higher ground above the road at SN85388232. Another
level is now lost in forestry to the west but is known to be located at SN84568205.
Buildings included a horizontal 14" steam engine house for pumping and drawing at the 1864 shaft together with an adjacent 25ft boiler housing. The dressing floors were powered by a 20ftx6ft waterwheel & 2 smaller wheels. The foundations of these
structures have been almost totally destroyed.
A crusher house base and washing/picking/jigging platforms were present along with traces of round buddles. All of these features have been extensively damaged by removal of the structural fabric for hardcore in farm roads and for infilling mine workings.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.