CPAT logo
Back Home
Powys Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Powys Metal Mines Survey


Cwm-fron (also known as East Cwm-fron) lies in the community of Llangurig in the county of Powys. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SN971809. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 23482 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead (1864-1897)

Siluran Llandovery series shales and slates with a single east-west vein containing galena and sphalerite mineralisation

There are three levels and three shafts including the Magazine level at SN97118099, the adit level at SN97088098, the Pumping shaft at SN97018098, Old shaft at SN96828098, a blocked upper level at SN96908098 and an eastern trial shaft at SN97878089. The adit and magazine levels are still open but partially waterlogged.

No evidence

Poorly preserved remains of the pumping, drawing and crushing engine can be seen on the dressing floors at SN97108092. This was a 26" or 28" rotary steam engine which was installed in 1868. A waterwheel can be seen on the 1886 OS first edition map just below the present road. Only a few poor masonry remains can now be seen. There are no remains to be seen at East Cwm-fron where a 30ft diam. waterwheel was drawing and pumping.

A full processing setup was present on the main dressing floors consisting of at least one crusher, jigs and buddles. Except for a masonry and brick construction wheelpit which still displays a number of tie rods close to the stream there is little else to see on the surface. There is clearly much potential for buried archaeology at this site.

Other features
A carpenter's shop, smithy, storeroom and office were present in 1868.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.