CPAT logo
Back Home
Powys Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Powys Metal Mines Survey


Tyisaf (also known as Cae Conroy) lies in the community of Llanbrynmair in the county of Powys. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SN87709790. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18998 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead (Roman ?/18thC/1805-1886)

The lode strikes E-W in Silurian Frongoch and Gwestyn formation rocks with quartz and galena mineralisation.

There are five shafts, a deep adit and two levels together with trials and opencuts. The shafts are located at SN87839795, SN87519790, SN87629798 and SN87859815. There is a level at SN87659790 and others at SN87809809. Most of these workings are run-in or within densely wooded areas with difficult access.

There are numerous original mine trackways passing through the mine site dressing floors. There are also many examples of the common earthwork traces of tramway beds leading from the workings to the dressing floors. There is a leat from the Cae Conroy valley carrying water to the dressing floors.

There were two waterwheels present on the site. One of these, located just to the north of Tyisaf Farm at SN87969820, housed a 50x4ft wheel which pumped the engine shaft via 300 yards of flat rods. The other waterwheel located at SN87729809 was used for crushing. There were undoubtedly smaller wheels for driving the round buddles but the remains are not obvious. Water was supplied to the leats from the two artificial reservoirs higher up the valley to the west.

There was a crusher house/stonebreaker, at least five round buddles, ore bins and picking/washing tables and jigger platforms. There are numerous basal masonry foundations on the dressing floors belonging to the crusher house and the processing mill.

Other features
There are mine office and storehouse/smithy buildings on the dressing floors area.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.