Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as St Catherine's)
lies in the community of Gwernymynydd in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ22206250.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18237 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Early 18th century-1906)
Coal Measures and Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone with chert beds.
The Pilkington and Cathole Vein run eastwards from the River Alyn. The Lords of Mold worked the St Catherine's Mine, which later bacame known as the Gwernymynydd Mine from 1730s. The mine sett was to the east of the Cathole sett and was first worked in the
19th century by the Glan Alyn Mining Company.
On the eastern extremity of the vein, the workings lie on Gwernymynydd Farm. At SJ22206250 a shaft and horse whim platform, probably No 1 shaft or St.Catherine's whimsey (Williams 1987) lies in the field to the east of the road to Fronissa. At SJ22306255
a filled shaft, the largest of this group is approx 4m dia with no evidence of a whim. At SJ22406255 a filled shaft, approx dia 2.5m and at SJ22456260 a filled shaft and elongated low spoil heap. Ironstone nodules were visible along with brittle dark
shales indicating coal geology. At SJ22506260 a filled shaft remains, surrounded by coal geology. At SJ22506255 a filled shaft is surrounded by sandstone blocks and brittle dark shale. At SJ22706260 the mound, appears to be dumping rather than a shaft.
The evidence of coal geology suggests that these features would be trial workings.
The arched stone adit level dating from 1739 lies now immediately below the new By-Pass road, near Bryn Coch Farm at SJ22706262.
The only remaining evidence of power source is the horse whim platform.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies