Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Cilcain in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ19456600.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18231 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (18th century-1882)
The Coed Du cross-course runs north-south through the Carboniferous Limestone beneath Coed Du Wood.
To the north and across the road from Cefn Farm, within an area of rough pasture, there remains;
a large shaft and whim circle at SJ19426607 and an Engine Shaft at SJ19426606. The semi-circular wall of an earlier shaft seems to lie to the north of the above shaft.
The workings on this vein to the west have been lost to quarrying.
A stone-built engine house stands at SJ19206605, with its bob-pit and adjacent boiler house partly intact. Some of the mounting bolts remain in situ and the cylinder base indicates a 36" engine. The boiler house appears to be to the west of the adjoining
engine house and the winding wheelpit to the north of the arrangement and south of Engine Shaft.
The whim circle remains at SJ19426605.
The site lies uphill from the site of the River Alyn smelt mill.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies