CPAT logo
Back Home
Clwyd Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Clwyd Metal Mines Survey

Talargoch Maesyrerwddu

Talargoch Maesyrerwddu lies in the community of Dyserth in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ05758030. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18202 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 19th century-1905)

Carboniferous Limestone.

The Maesyrerwddu Company, which incorporated the Coetia Llys Company entered returns for 1855-1877 and were later worked by the Talargoch Company. The site to the west of Graig Fawr was occupied by the dressing floor area and the Talargoch, Smedleys, No 1, Engine Shaft and the Maesyrerwddu Shaft. Most of the Maesyrerwddu site has been cleared and is occupied by modern industry. A shaft and opencut is identifiable on the lower western slope of Graig Fawr, alongside the disused railway at SJ05828019. Adit levels on the hill-slopes appear to be 18th century workings.

The sidings from the Prestatyn-Dyserth Railway ran into the dressing floor and a small siding served the 80" Engine Shaft.

A 40ft x 3ft waterwheel provided power for the dressing floor machinery. Two reservoirs provided water using the 1750s leat system (Thorburn 1986).

A large area of waste dumps lies in dense vegetation between the mineral Railway track and the small industrial estate within the vicinity of SJ05758025. These are the remains of the reworking of the dressing floor waste. A 34" roll crushing mill and a Blake's Stone Breaker were in operation, along with a 12 ft diameter waterwheel for dressing slimes. Ore dressing was conducted in open sided sheds (Thorburn 1986).

Other features
No evidence.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.