Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
Park Hill Shaft
Park Hill Shaft
lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ25605210.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18161 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Zinc (Early 19th century-1890)
The Hill shaft lies approx 300m uphill to the south-east of Western Shaft at SJ25607120. The shaft, now substantially capped was sunk prior to 1850.
The site remains as extensive spoil heaps with the demolished remains of an engine house, south of the shaft. A large shaft lies to the south of this area at SJ25605100.
The Park Mines were drained by the Minera Upper Day Level.
An incline appears to run downhill to Western Shaft and the dressing floor areas (PRN 104373).
There is evidence that a large whim shaft, which has been cut in half, was formerly operating the engine shaft. The site was apparently re-equipped with the steam pumping engine in 1858 (Davies 1964). The shallower shafts had whims. The seating blocks of
the engine are barely visible. The pumping engine house appears to have its boiler house and chimney to the south.
The remains of two pools are to the west and east of the engine house.
The dressing floor areas were on the Western Shaft site (PRN 104373).
The remains of ore bins can be located on the side of the spoil tips by the destroyed engine house.
The smithy stood at SJ26555110.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies