Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanarmon-yn-ial in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20205710.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18154 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (19th century)
The Pant-y-gwlanod Vein was worked in the 1880s by the mine of that name and also the Brynymwyn mine. The vein was the subject of earlier workings along the steep sides of the Graig hill.
The sett incorporated the earlier 19th century workings of the Bryn-y-Gloch Mine.
Earp (1958) mentions three main shafts for the mine which he states had ceased working by 1850 being west Whim, Engine and Flat Rod shaft.
The Old Engine Shaft is capped at SJ20105715 and the remains of its pumping engine are to the south-east of it. The area is not marked as an old mine on the 1st edition OS of 1871, but old shafts are depicted on the hillside to the south. Shafts can be
detected at SJ19855680.
A track runs uphill to further workings.
The shaft that was worked at the western end of Pant-y-gwlanod at SJ20105727 has been lost to quarrying.
The area across the road and to the west of Pant-y-gwlanod Cottage has been cleared of all mining waste.
The mine was drained by the Nant Adda adit into the River Alyn.
A pumping engine and a whim were on site pre-1850.
The foundations of the engine house are difficult to determine, being covered in collapsed rubble.
The dressing floors probably lay across the road and to the west of Pant-y-gwlanod Cottage on the site now cleared of all mining waste.
Local legend perceives that the pumping engine attendant lived in the cottage alongside the engine house at SJ20205719.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies