Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Pantygo West, Brynparade or Collossus)
lies in the community of Halkyn in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20457145.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18153 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 19th century-1899)
Pantygo North, formerly Brynparade, lies on the small Brynparade Vein, which runs north to south through an area of Carboniferous Limestone with chert beds. The vein is almost on the same line as the Dingle Vein; it runs parallel to but 100yds south of the
The only surviving evidence are shafts and spoil mounds, which are spread over a large area around the settlements of Windmill and Fron.
The mine lies on the Holywell-Halkyn Drainage Tunnel or Milwr Tunnel as it is known. The Holywell-Halkyn Mining and Tunnel Company (1896) undertook to drive a drainage level to unwater the mines in the Halkyn Mountain area,as individual pumping schemes
The area to the west of Windmill is littered with abandoned mine shafts.
Pantygo North, West, Brynparade and Colossus Mines were all worked on the same sett.
A Mining Journal of 19/11/1870 lists a 70" pumping engine and three boilers for sale at West Pant-y-go Mine.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies