Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Minera Burton's Shaft)
lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ27805080.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18145 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Burtons' shaft is recorded as being sunk through Cefn-y -fedw Sandstone and Coal Measures cutting into Carboniferous limestone.
The New Minera Mining Company operated for a short time to the east of Nant Farm (SJ27715085). Work started in 1888 on the veins south-east of Meadowshaft and the mine went into liquidation in 1896.
New Minera or Burtons' Shaft was sunk to a depth of 966ft at SJ27855085 and worked the Red Vein and the Main Vein.
In 1897, the Minera and the New Minera Mining Companies amalgamated to form the United Minera Mining Company. The last recorded working for the Burton's Shaft was 1919 (Earp 1958).
Spoil heaps run eastwards from the shaft at SJ27855085.
The adit level at SJ26505508 has a substantial portal and the Park Adit Level at SJ27105160 also drained the mine.
The sett was served by the mineral railway.
The substantial stonework walls of the engine house and processing buildings remain beneath the debris.
A pond bed that fed the processing areas is located at SJ27855082.
Machinery for crushing and processing ore operated on the site.
The foundations of two rectangular buildings remain at SJ27855083.
New Minera shaft was operated from 1889 until the early 20th century and was served by several different steam engines, operating a winder, pumps, compressors, a sawmill, crushers and dressing machinery. A vanning machine for separating fine particles of
ore and waste was introduced at this site by the company engineeer, George Frederick Wynne, and was subsequently used widely overseas. The extensive remains include a capped shaft, buddles, jig boxes, engine bases, and structures associated with the
innovative vanning machinery. Timber structures such as launders and boxes are exceptionally well preserved.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies