CPAT logo
Back Home
Clwyd Metal Mines
Mines index

Clwyd Metal Mines Survey

Minera Quarry

Minera Quarry lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ25505200. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18125 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead/Zinc/Limestone Quarry (Late 19th century)

Carboniferous Limestone.

Trials for lead presumably took place on the Ragman and Main Veins. All evidence has been lost to quarry workings. The 19th century returns (Burt) enter Minera Quarry for 1884-5 and also refer to Calamine Pits.

The 1850s mineral railway ran to the quarry area.

No evidence.

No evidence.

Other features
The battery of Hoffman Limekilns are located within the Quarry and remain in good condition. Older Quarry workings remain on the hillside behind them. The Atcherley Kilns remain in close proximity to Boundary shaft to the south-east of the Quarry. The Kilns date from the mid-nineteenth century.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.

Privacy and cookies