CPAT logo
Back Home
Clwyd Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Clwyd Metal Mines Survey

Minera Halvans Plant

Minera Halvans Plant lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ27055150. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18123 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Treatment Plant (1870)

Carboniferous Limestone.

The Halvan's Recycling Plant stands to the east of the road from New Brighton to Minera, being Area 2 of the Minera Reclamation Scheme being carried out by Wrexham Maelor Borough Council. Following excavation in 1988 by Wrexham Maelor Borough Council and recording by CPAT in 1989, the site has been back-filled to protect the structural remains.

No evidence.

The foundations of the engine, boiler house and chimney that powered the crushing machinery remain.

The Plant was built for the treatment of low grade ore and lead waste. The crusher house and good examples of circular buddles and jig bases remain in situ for consolidation at a later date.

Other features
No evidence.

Scheduled 1997. The Minera Havans plant was built by the Taylors mining company between 1872 and 1874 to extract lead ore from existing low grade waste (or halvans) heaps in the area. The plant included a beam engine, primary and secondary Cornish crushers, jigs and six buddles.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.

Privacy and cookies