Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ26005200.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18122 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1870)
The Main Vein and the Red Vein in Carboniferous Limestone.
The NGR for Central Minera (Burt et al 1992) at SJ259524 lies within a disused quarry with no real mining evidence.
The workings along the line of the Red Vein can be traced heading south-eastwards from Allt Eisteddfod towards the Maesyfynnon Shaft at SJ25995200. Shafts and spoil mounds are located at SJ25795226, SJ25855225, SJ25905217 and SJ25965207, crossing fields of
The Maesyffynon Shaft, sunk to 300ft remains on the property of a private house, Maesyfynnon Cottage, being to the north of the Aber Sychnant. To the east of Maesyfynnon, disused shafts remain on the northern bank of Aber Sychnant, one of which is
The 1850s mineral railway serviced the sett.
The Maesyffynon Shaft and Engine House date from 1783. The 50" engine was probably manufactured by John Wilkinson, who worked the sett at this time, at his Bersham Ironworks and was presumably a pirate of a Bolton and Watt type Engine.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies