Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Halkyn in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20507220.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18117 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 18th century)
Maeslygan was one of the early setts opened up by the Governor and Company for smelting down lead with pit and sea coal after it was granted a Royal Charter in 1694. A sketch plan for the mines owned by the Quaker Company , as it became known, between
1692-1728 includes Maeslygan.
The mine worked the eastern end of the Pant Vein, the only remains of which is the 19th century Old Engine Shaft at SJ20507220, to the south-west of the Springfield Hotel.
The richest workings of the sett on the Pant Vein were at Cae'r Bryn Bychan Field (Rhodes).
The mid-18th century level driven from near Plas Isaf at SJ218720 remained unlocated.
One of the earliest Newcomen engines was working on the sett in the 1730s.
All the ores were sent to Flint by the Quaker Company to their Gadlys smeltery.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies