CPAT logo
Back Home
Clwyd Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Clwyd Metal Mines Survey


Llanarmon lies in the community of Llanarmon-yn-ial in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ21705680. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18109 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead/Silver (1873-1913)

Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone with chert beds.

The mine worked the eastern end of the Westminster Vein. The site lies to the east of a small graveyard and plot once occupied by Moriah Chapel. A run of collapsed shafts and waste heaps lie in the fields running north from the Quarry owned by Stoddards Silicon Quarries. Smith (1921) details an engine shaft sunk through stratas of sandstone and chert. The 1st edition OS map details this engine house with its shaft to the south at SJ21605675. No apparent structural evidence remains, although the sett was worked by the Llanarmon District Mining Company until 1913. A second shaft lay to the west of engine shaft.

No evidence.

No evidence.

No evidence.

Other features
No evidence.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.

Privacy and cookies