Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Holway West or Golch Hill)
lies in the community of Whitford in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ16807650.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18103 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (19th century)
The 19th century returns (Burt 1992) identify the workings of Holway District Lead Co Ltd (1884-1886), formerly West Holway (1879-1883) and New South Merllyn (1870-1879) operating in the same area as Saithaelwyd (1883-1897). The West Holway Co also worked
the sett of Golch Hill (SJ16707640), which had operated from 1864-1866.
The workings lay on the Portaway Lode and the West Holway and Golch Hill Vein, running north to south. Smith (1921) refers to a whim shaft to the south-south-east of Saithaelwyd Cottage, which could be the shaft in the woodland at SJ16747656. Further
south-east of this, a shaft remains at SJ16777650, to the east of woodland.
The workings run south towards the Grange Quarries at SJ16807590, passing to the east of the quarry. The larger shafts and mounds are located at SJ16787634, SJ16807631, SJ16857615, SJ16937608 and SJ16927595, continuing southwards.
Whim shaft on the Saithaelwyd sett.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies