Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanferres in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ19606280.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18078 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (17th century-1870)
The Glan Alun Mining Company worked the western end of the Cathole Vein along the eastern bank of the River Alyn, which ran through the steep valley of Carboniferous Limestone.
Documentary evidence in the form of early leases deposited at CRO, Hawarden and referred to in Williams (1987) affirm the small-scale workings in this area on land owned by the Grosvenors on Mold Mountain.
The main mine working area lay on the banks of the River Alyn (SJ19656280), with the main shafts on the top of the limestone cliffs above.
Four capped and fenced-off shafts were located on top of the limestone cliffs; two of which can be attributed to Glanalyn (SJ19706291) and two attributed to True Blue Mine (SJ19756305).
The True Blue Adit was at SJ19306320 to the north of the Glan Alyn Adit (SJ19506290) on the east bank of the River Alyn.
It is likely that an incline railway for transporting trucks of materials between the main Glan Alun mine shaft and the valley floor below was installed in the gulley once used by pump rods from the water wheel (1870) to the mine shaft above.
Williams (1987) documents the heavy investment in water power along the River Alyn.
The pit at SJ19626294 was the site of a waterwheel installed in 1772-4 to drive pump rods up the cliff to the Pen-y-garreg Wen Shaft above. The wheel was superseded by a larger wheel as the mine expanded. The 1774 wheel was adapted in 1864 for a turbine.
The fine stonework remains of the later wheelpit that housed a 40ft waterwheel, built in 1870 to drain the mines in the area remain along the river at SJ19606285.
The very complex 'leete' system in the Alyn Valley, built to provide a water system for pumping out mines along the entire valley ran for about three miles. Although dating from the 18th century, most were built during the period 1823-45, when John Taylor
was operating the Mold Mines (Williams 1987). The corn mill leat, later extended to the Glanalyn mine may well be the oldest system (SJ19816265). Excellently preserved parts of the leete exist suggesting it was about 7ft wide and between 4ft 6ins to 5ft
A horse whim was reputedly in use at Pen-y-garreg Wen Shaft (SJ19866292) and a rope hoist was used at True Blue.
The dressing floor areas lay along the banks of the River Alyn at SJ19606285.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies