Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Deborah)
lies in the community of Gwernymynydd in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20406350.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18057 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Documentary evidence in the form of early leases deposited at CRO, Hawarden and referred to in Williams (1987) affirm the small-scale workings in this area on land owned by the Grosvenors on Mold Mountain.
The Cefn Mawr Mine worked the Deborah Vein, a continuation of True Blue, which ran eastwards from the River Alun to meet the Cathole Cross-Course Vein. Working evidence remains as several very deep stone lined shafts, two substantially capped with metal
cages in the area north-west of Cefn Mawr Hall.
The Deborah Shaft is located at SJ20606325 and to the west of this three large shafts, filled in and overgrown lie are located on the other side of the Cathole-Gwernaffield Road at SJ20606330.
Probably whim shafts.
Smith (1921) refers to ores being carted to Pantybuarth (103203) for dressing.
A limekiln lies on the edge of an old stone wall boundary and gatepost at SJ20606340. An area of spoil and dump runs along this field boundary also.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies