Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanarmon-yn-ial in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20405590.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18056 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (19th century)
The Creigiawg Lode running east to west through Carboniferous Limestone.
According to the 19th century returns (Burt et al 1992), the Creigiog Mining Co Ltd operated from 1884-1887 in the vicinity of Cefn-Coed. A single shaft mound and possible whim remains overgrown at SJ20355590. A second shaft lies on the edge of woodland at
SJ20555570. These two shafts appear on the 1st edition OS of 1874.
The Mining Journal in 1853 offered the mine for sale but it appears to have worked until 1885 according to the returns. The Creigiog Mining Company was formerly the Bodidris Company.
Sale particulars of 1849, for the land and property of James Kyrke, deposited at CRO include Lot XXV111, being his share in the Machinery of Creigiog Lead Mine: this part share consisting of a team Pumping Engine with 48" cylinder on the Bolton and Watt
principle, about 104 yds of pump in the shafts, pumps and castings on the banks, horse gins etc.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies