Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as American)
lies in the community of Brynford in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ17307530.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18045 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1903)
The sett worked the east-west Clwt Militia Vein, which ran off the Pant-y-nef cross-course in an area of Holywell Common, now cut by the new A55 road.
An area of overgrown spoil and shaft mounds lie to the north of the A55 in the wasteground around Tudor Cottage (SJ17357525). The workings continue to run south of the A55, crossing the Golf Course on its western side.
Little structural evidence remains of this large mining sett, other than some large stone building blocks that lie on the wasteground.
The Seven Stars Vein was worked in the same area (Smith 1921, 60).
An old plan deposited in the CRO at Hawarden shows the mine office, windlasses and whims, an engine house, and a large whim shaft being the old Clwt Militia Shaft (D/GR/848).
Considerable dressing floor waste lies on the western end of the Golf Course to the south of the terrace of four.
The cottage at SJ17107519 named Clwyt Militia is probably the old mine office.
A terrace of four houses now modernised was probably a miners terrace.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies