Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Brymbo in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ26605340.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18028 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Mid-19th century)
Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone with underlying Carboniferous Limestone.
The mine appears to have worked an east-west vein, being the southermost of five veins shown traversing the Bwlchgwyn area on the Brenton Symons Map of 1865 (CRO).
The 19th century returns are for the 1850-60 period only.
The 1st edition OS of 1871, shows two lead shafts on a parcel of land which lies to the west of the junction of Fronheulog Road and Wesley Road. The shaft, pool and mine buildings shown on the sett on the 1st edition map at SJ26205340 have been quarried
out. They were already disused by 1899, as they do not appear on the 2nd. edition map. Grassed over spoil mounds remain in proximity to the lost structures within the perimeter of the quarry Land. The Bwlchgwyn Quarry is now disused but concrete platforms
and machine mountings remain in situ to the west of the old mine sett.
To the south of Fronheulog Road, spoil tips back on to the modern housing development of Caer Efail Road.
The smithy marked on the 1st edition OS has disappeared, but the stone walls that surrounded the plot survive.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies