Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Holywell in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ18957475.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18020 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1870)
Carboniferous Limestone and Holywell Shales.
The Brynford Hall sett worked the Milwr Vein as it ran east to west passing to the north of the Hall. An area of waste to the west of the Hall appears to have been the main working area. The Brynford Hall Mining Company operated until 1870, when the mine
was incorporated into the Milwr Group and later the Herward mines.
A substantial area of earthworks and mining subsidence is located on either side of the Brynford Road as it runs uphill from the former workhouse, now Lluesty Hospital. Further shafts run east to west in the fields to the south of the Hall and west of the
modern housing estate of Pystyll; these southern parallel veins were the Ellis and Beili-gwyn Veins. A day-level ran out beneath the Halkyn-Holywell Road and water still issues from a point at SJ19237470.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies