Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Pantymwyn East)
lies in the community of Gwernaffield in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20206480.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18019 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 19th century-1913)
Bryncoch lies on the Pantymwyn North Vein, which runs eastwards from the River Alyn through belts of Carboniferous Limestone, Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone out into the Coal Measures.
The area consists of several grassed- over shafts and mounds littered with extensive lead dressing waste.
A large shaft with the collapsed remains of a stonebuilt engine house falling into it, now fenced off at SJ20106480 is probably Taylor's Shaft. A shaft remains capped and fenced off at SJ20206475. The shaft and possible whim site at SJ19986485 could be the
old Boundary Shaft. The Mines were drained by the Bellan Adit Level driven from the River Alyn at SJ21206540 to West Flat Rod shaft.
Mold Mines were reworked 1901-1913, when New Shaft (PRN 18132) was sunk at SJ20806520 to the north of Gwernaffield. This shaft was later connected to the Sea Level Tunnel, after the mine ceased operating. New Shaft remains amid woodland in an area that has
by large been cleared of Mining evidence. Only the concrete foundations of structures remain in this area at SJ20806520
The stone-built engine house at SJ20106480 probably pumped and wound on Taylor's Shaft. A circular indentation aprox 2-3m dia on its western side is the possible chimney base.
There is little substantial evidence to identify Old Engine shaft however. Boundary Shaft at SJ19986485 was a whim shaft. Documentary evidence refers to South Flat Rod and West Flat Rod shafts.
A large rectangular depression at SJ20226490 was probably a reservoir.
A large flat bottomed pit, approx 5m square and 1m deep remains at SJ20806520. With sloping sides with stone revetment, it has the appearance of a settling pit for slimes.
Stone buildings, now used as farm buildings lie to the south of the engine shaft at SJ20205480. There is no evidence to suggest that they date from the mining period, but they could have provided stabling.
The dwelling at SJ20226486 was probably the mine agents' house.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies