Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Bodelwyddan in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SH99707490.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18009 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 19th century-1862)
The Vein strikes east-west through White Carboniferous Limestone.
The main mine area lies on either side of the road climbing Engine Hill as it runs past the former smithy, now a lodge at the entrance drive to Bodelwyddan Hall. The New Engine Shaft is within the grounds of the hall in an area of dense woodland; although
possibly two shafts are discernable, the dense vegetation prevented further exploration (July 1993).
To the west of Engine Hill, the Old Engine Shaft remains as a depression in an area of coppice, where scattered blocks of dressed stone remain.
The four main shafts appear to have been the Old Engine, New Engine, an inclined whimsey, which was to the south of the New Engine Shaft, and a second whimsey shaft lying to the east (Smith 1921, 33).
Older workings lie in Pen-y-garreg Wood, showing as open shafts and surface workings.
The stone built portal of the adit level, that water still runs from (the mine is presumably waterlogged) at SJ000027470, being on the Parkland to the east of the Castle and west of the fish ponds.
Two shaft mounds lie to the north and south of a track running up to the Castle, to the south of Bodelwyddan Church.
Any earlier working evidence is lost.
An 1860 Mining Journal mentions a 60" pumping engine made by Rhydymwyn Foundry and three boilers; also a 24" winding engine and boiler. The foundations of this engine house and associated foundations are probably embedded in thw undeveloped area of
parkland at SH99807590. The Mine Abandonment Plan of 1857 (CRO) shows the engine house with adjacent boiler house on its south-western side and a chimney on its north-western corner.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies