Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanarmon-yn-ial in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20255885.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18005 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1857)
The Belgrave Vein runs from the River Alyn to the Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone, crossing a limestone ridge, which rises to a height of 408m OD.
The Belgrave Mine follows an east-west vein as it crosses a bare limestone ridge to Bryn-yr-orsedd and runs out at an old level in the Alyn valley.
Large areas of workings exist on both terraces of the ridge, which can presumably both be linked to Belgrave Mine. Smith (1921) illustrates Belgrave Mine as a run of ten shafts crossing the ridge (no NGR given). A good track leads from the Eryrys Road to
the main mine area (SJ20305875) which remains as a large spread of workings, partly destroyed by sheep grazing. Shafts lie to the south of this track before reaching the engine house area. One large shaft is capped with concrete at SJ20455865 and several
remain as large hollows. The engine shaft and the ruins of the engine house remain at SJ20175887. A raised circular platform with a possible shaft depression to the north-west of it, lie to the immediate east of the enging shaft. This could be a whim site,
although its surface is made up of very coarse stone. A circular stone-lined shaft remains at SJ19705910.A series of shafts and rakes run downhill and eastwards towards the engine house.
A very large quarried out area lies to the north-west and uphill of the engine shaft.
A second area of workings lie on the western flanks of the limestone ridge (SJ19905880), within a deep natural basin. Three large shafts are capped, one having slight evidence of a whim revetment and possible central pivot. A further nine large shaft
mounds with associated spoil are on the same site. The area is surrounded by natural outcrops of limestone.
Smith's illustration (1921) infers that all these workings are part of Belgrave Mine, along with three adit levels which were not identified, which could relate to Bryn-yr-Orsedd (PRN 18017).
A shaft capping programme carried out by N.K.C. Partnership in 1978, included two of the Belgrave shafts: the Old Engine Shaft was capped at SJ20175887, being stone-lined and circular and an un-named adjacent shaft at SJ20185884, also being stone-lined and
circular and bearing a date stone inscribed JP1804.
A string off the vein has been worked to the south-west at Pwll-Helyg, SJ19555870.
There are slight traces of the shafts that lie on the east-west vein in the fields around Fron-Deg (SJ20705870), which appear on the 2nd edition OS map (Sheet XX.6).
The old trackway runs the length of the workings from Pen-y-Coed Farm (SJ20605860) through the main Belgrave mine area and continuing westwards downhill to the River Alyn.
A ruinous engine house (SJ20175887) of which only its north wall survives in part to a maximum height of approx 3m lies in an area of spoil and fallen stone, which masks any remaining features. Three supports for the flat rods remain in situ amid spoil and
fallen stone. The beam wall has collapsed and there is no evidence to suggest cylinder size. A platform area lies to the north-east and the north wall appears to continue westwards, as its stonework appears in a depression. There is no evidence of a
chimney or outlet for pipes other than a gulley which emerges northwards from the north wall.
Earthwork evidence remains of a dried-up reservoir and sluice exit lying to the south-west of the engine house.
On the edge of the large quarry area that lies to the north-west of the engine house, there is evidence of building foundations in the ground and two bolts embedded in the ground. Another dried-up reservoir and sluice lie to the west of this area.
The earthbanks of two interlinked reservoirs and the channels that link them remain on the western side of the limestone redge.
A possible whim shaft appears on the other flank of the ridge at SJ19955905.
Stone foundations of a large rectangular building with interior walls remain as earthworks to the north side of the track at SJ20305880, and could relate to a processing plant.
A trail of spoil and washing waste run in a north-westerly direction from SJ20385810.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies