CPAT logo
Back Home
Clwyd Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Clwyd Metal Mines Survey

Deep Level Drainage Tunnel

Deep Level Drainage Tunnel lies in the community of Halkyn in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ22907110. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18003 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead (18th-20th century)

Coal Measures of the Dee Estuary.

The Deep Level Tunnel day-level runs from the Swinchiard Brook near the Coed-y-Cra Woods. The Halkyn District Mines Drainage Company was formed in 1875 to continue drainage via this adit (SJ22907110). In 1896, the Holywell-Halkyn Mining and Tunnel Company commenced the Sea-Level or Milwr Tunnel as it is known from the estuary of the River Dee at Bagillt to unwater the mines in the Holywell District as well as to search for new mineral veins, which it did successfully. The level commences to the north of the disused Bettisfield Colliery and south of the old Lead Works at SJ21407610. In 1913, the Drainage Company obtained an Act to extend the Tunnel westwards to reach Caeau Shaft and Windmill by 1919. In 1928, the Halkyn District United Mines Company acquired the mineral rights over the whole of the orefield to include the Mold and Llanarmon Mines. The sett covered 25 square miles and incorporated nine previous mining setts. The Sea Level Tunnel was extended by them as far as Cathole (SJ20506270). The shafts in this area relate to the coal industry.

Battery powered locomotives operated in the tunnel.

No evidence.

No evidence.

Other features
No evidence.

The Deep Level Tunnel day level runs from the Swinchiard Brook, near the Coed-y-Cra Woods. The Halkyn District mines Drainage Company was formed in 1875 to continue to drainage via this adit. In 1893, the tunnel cut West Iron Shaft on the Bryncelyn Vein at SJ20606650 and Deweys Shaft at SJ20306640, south of Rhydymwyn. The tunnel continued to be driven southwards to reach the Llyn-y-pandy sett by 1903 at SJ19406550 on the Rhydalyn Vein.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.

Privacy and cookies