Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanferres in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20506180.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 18000 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (Early 19th century-1887)
The mine workings follow the Coed-Cynric Vein, which runs in a north-west to south-easterly direction through Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone and clay with chert beds.
The sett was worked from early 19th century by the Aberduna Company, 1860-65 by the Coed Cynric Company and the larger later operations were conducted by the Denbighshire Consols Mining Company.
A run of very large shafts follow the north-west to south-east Coed-Cynric Vein between the main engine shaft at SJ20706185, which was driven 112yds to meet the vein and a large pool at SJ20306195, surveyed by the OS as a clay pit. Evidence of workings in
the vicinity of the 19th century engine house are lost to spoil built up by the adjacent quarry. Smith (1921) records a whim shaft being sunk to a depth of 80yds (no NGR given), which has not been identified. The large shafts which lie in the Coed-y Fedw
woodland are all at least 4m wide, with spoil surrounds.
A possible incline appears to run downhill from the engine shaft at SJ207061800 to the large pool at SJ20306195.
The Cornish Engine House that survives to a full height of some 10m pumped a shaft 112yds deep. It survives as a fine example of a late 19th century Cornish engine house, although severe cracks in its' stonework appear on the south wall and the west wall
not helped by the nearby quarry workings. The apex in the west wall remains to full height but the house is roofless, although all the timber sills and lintels remain. The west wall consists of the entrance doorway with two windows above, which suggests a
three floor construction. The floor joists remain as butt ends in the stonework. The engine house appears to have been repaired around the windows with brick some time after its construction. The base for the cylinder and the pit for the condenser are
evident in the interior. The north wall is part covered in ivy to the east and shows areas of burning on its west side. The wall is approx 7m in length and 10m high, showing evidence of protruding floor joists. Two windows remain, both repaired with brick
and a gap in the wall on a level with the cylinder base would be the likely exit for pipes to the boiler house. Any evidence of a boiler house or a chimney is lost either in the spoil or to the purpose-made public footpath which runs through this part of
the woods. The south wall has mostly disappeared below quarry spoil. It shows evidence of burning on its west side and contains a severe crack running from top to bottom. Parts of the winding rope can be seen buried in the coppice area. The east wall is
the bob wall. Although overgrown with ivy, it remains very solid approx 4-5m wide. The bank slopes so severely upwards to the quarry that it meets the gap in the east wall where the pump rods would have been.
Natural watercourses seem to run downhill through this woodland, but may have been partly man-made. The large pool at SJ20306195 has been mapped by the OS as a clay pit and no real evidence remains to connect it to dressing floor workings.
To the east of the engine house (SJ20656180) only two walls remain of a stone building approx 2m wide x 4m long, with watercourses running downhill around it, possibly a mine related building. Derelict stone-built dwellings lie alongside the roadway, just
within the woodland at SJ20706180 and could also be mine related.
The Quarry owners are Pioneer Quarries, who appear to have played some part in the land reclamation of the area, which immediately surrounds their workings. The public footpath is now fenced off preventing access to the engine house.
The area to the north of Coed-y-Fedw Woods is owned by Liverpool Education Authority and used as an Outdoor Pursuits Centre. A disused mine truck and two items of workshop machinery, one being a form of circular saw, form a display area.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies