CPAT logo
Back Home
Clwyd Metal Mines
Mines index
Mine map

Clwyd Metal Mines Survey


Milwr lies in the community of Holywell in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ19307450. The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 103463 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.

Lead/Silver/Zinc (18th century-1913)

Carboniferous Limestone with chert beds and Lower Coal Measures.

The Milwr Mine worked the eastern end of the Milwr Vein and its several strings from early 18th century. The Milwr Company worked the richest part of the vein as it ran eastwards from Brynford Hall to cut the Holywell-Halkyn Road. The main 19th century mine site at Milwr Farm remains as wasteground amid 20th century industrial buildings. The larger shafts on this site were worked to the south-west of the Halkyn-Holywell Road to the north of the farm buildings. The well established housing development of Pistyll has masked much of the mining evidence. A drainage level on the vein still issues water at SJ19237470. The mine ceased operations several times due to drainage problems. The Sea Level tunnel reached the sett in 1904 operated by the Holywell and Halkyn Mining and Tunnel Company and later by the Halkyn District United Mines.

No evidence.

In 1888, when the Milwr Mining Company was formed, the prospectus detailed the following machinery; a compound horizontal pumping engine with a 302 high pressure engine and a 56" low pressure engine. In 1893 this was offered for sale along with an 18" and a 14" winding engine, and a twin 12" cylinder capstan engine. In 1833, a 63" pumping engine was reputedly at work on the sett. The 1st edition OS map shows reservoirs to the east of a house called The Cottage. Only slight rectangular earthwork evidence remains at SJ19417458 of the reservoirs which would have served the dressing floors.

No evidence.

Other features
No evidence.

This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.

Privacy and cookies