Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
(also known as Nantygo)
lies in the community of Halkyn in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ19206910.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 103375 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 19th century-1907)
The mine lies on the east-west Bryngwiog Vein, which lies to the west of the Nant Figallt Fault in an area where Cefn-y-fedw Sandstone and Lower Coal Measures meet with the Carboniferous Limestone.
Evidence of workings survive in the form of one large shaft (SJ19196915), serving as a rubbish dump, in an area of mine waste and household rubbish. A second shaft lies to the west of this at SJ18926925. These could be the two engine shafts (Smith 1921),
although there is no structural evidence.
The 20th century Bryngwiog Mines Company sett covered 265 acres to the south of Moel-y-crio, incorporating much of the Plas Winter sett, the Bryngwiog Vein and the Bryngoch, Wern, Fron and Pantygo lodes.
A reference from an 1870 Mining Journal mentions a 30" pumping engine.
1870 Mining Journal lists a 24" crushing and winding engine.
A modernised stone cottage, Bella-vista (SJ19166915) lies between the two shafts, retained by a substantial stone wall and could be mine related.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies