Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanasa in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ10948054.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 103308 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead (Early 19th century-1872)
White Carboniferous Limestone.
The Axton Vein runs east to west about half a mile south of Llanasa. The old shafts on the western end of the vein lay to the south-west of Tyddyn-uchaf (SJ10058040). The mine was abandoned by 1866 and appears as an Inactive Lead Works on the 1st edition
OS Flintshire Sheet 11.14 of 1870.
The site of the mine lies through old limestone gateposts that lead of the road from Llanasa to Four Crosses, opposite a house re-named Meadowcroft. It remains as an area of grassed over mounds. One very large circular shaft, roughly fenced off and approx
3m diameter, with dressed stone lining remains at SJ10968054.
An earthwork bank runs east to west at SJ10938053, probably the site of an earlier rectangular building. A further shaft mound lies to the west of this at SJ10968057.
The OS map of 1899 shows this site as a single shaft, with no related buildings.
Towards the west, beyond Meadowcroft, old shafts run on a line with areas of old quarrying. Noticeable shaft mounds can be located in the fields at SJ10938049, SJ10768048, SJ10608041 and SJ10508040. Further shaft mounds lie in the vicinity of Ash Cottage
The earthwork remains of an incline could relate to the quarrying rather than the lead mining activities in the area. It appears to run in a west to east direction downhill from the quarries and shafts around Cartref Mellus (SJ10758037). It is shown on the
OS Sheet SJ1079 1964 edition.
Details from an 1867 Mining Journal for an auction in that year, list a 60" x 9ft pumping engine with 30ft beam and 17" diameter pumps; a 20" horizontal engine for winding with flat hemp rope and two Cornish boilers, each 30ft x 7ft. The 1st edition OS
Flintshire Sheet 11.14 shows the location of the housing for the above engine at SJ10868054.
Stonework protrudes to the north-east of the shaft at SJ10968054 to connect with the site of the engine house. A large rectangular depression in the ground to the north-east of the shaft, suggests the site of the engine house. Other stonework remains are
grassed over around the shaft area, which would be associated with the pumping or winding mechanism.
A terrace of three stone cottages that front the road at SJ10788066 were probably workers' housing, and Meadowcroft, once named Penllan Cottage, may have been the mine office.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies