Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Llanasa in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ11108030.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 103276 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver (1883-1913, Afongoch 1846/7)
Carboniferous Limestone with chert beds.
The West Trelogan Mining Company worked two shafts on the west side of this road. The ruinous Engine House and Engine Shaft remain at SJ11088031 in an area that has been recently bulldozed clear of houshold waste and any other related buildings.
The engine house (SJ11088031) survives constructed of local stone and patched up with brickwork, approx 4m x 3m it is generally covered in ivy and overshadowed by trees. It survives to a height of approx 3.5m on three sides and 2.5m on its bob wall. The
doorways and machinery openings appear to have been originally of dressed stone, but are now patched up with brick. mounting blocks and fixing bolts for the pumpwork run out to the south-east of the house to the open shaft at SJ11098030.
Two wooden beams remain in situ with revetment cuts, approx 4m x8" wide x 1ft deep.
The mine appears on the OS 2nd edition for 1899.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.