Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Gwernymynydd in the county of Flintshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ20606270.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 103187 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
The Cathole Vein runs eastwards from the River Alyn through Carboniferous Limestone.
Documentary evidence in the form of early leases deposited at CRO, Hawarden and referred to in Williams (1987) affirm the small-scale workings in this area on land owned by the Grosvenors on Mold Mountain.
The Cathole Vein runs eastwards from the River Alyn following the same line as the Loggerheads to Mold Road, which it crosses at Parc Arthur Farm, where it was worked very near the surface.
Large-scale mining began on the Pilkington's and Cathole Veins c1820, by the Cathole and Gwernymynydd Mines. John Taylor & Co operated Cathole (1825-45) very successfully.
The Glan Alun adit, cut by John Taylor & Co runs from the River Alyn to Francis Engine Shaft, sunk to a depth of 145ft which now remains overgrown and filled in at SJ20726279.
Taylor's Flat Rod Shaft is overgrown and filled in at SJ20936274. Both these shafts lie to the west of the Cathole-Gwernaffield Road. This area worked the Pilkington's Vein, which runs north through the woods towards the River Alyn. The Old Whim Shaft is
overgrown at SJ20326291. An open rake runs north to south to the north-west of this area.
The Old Engine Shaft, near Cefn Mawr Hall is located at SJ20456305.
The main site of Cathole and the later Mold Mines lies in an area of woodland to the east of the Cadole to Gwernaffield Road at SJ20806280, being the site of the Cathole Engine Shaft. Taylor's Shaft lay almost on the road junction at SJ20606270.
The Sea Level Tunnel driven by the Halkyn District United Mines Ltd reached the area in 1958 to drain the mines; prior to this the sett was drained by the adit which emerges to the east of Gwernymynydd Farm at SJ22706262.
The old mine track of Cathole West runs north off the main Mold-Loggerheads Road and leads to an area of workings on the Pilkington vein (18033). The area is much used by the public as it adjoins Loggerheads Country Park.
A map from 1750s deposited CRO, Hawarden shows horse whims already at work in the area.
In 1869 The Perran Foundry in Cornwall built an 80" engine for Cathole (Barton 1965).
Ore was recorded as being taken to Pantybuarth (103203) for dressing.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies