Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
lies in the community of Tremeirchion in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ08607540.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 102766 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Barytes (Early 18th century-1920)
Silurian Rocks and Wenlock shales.
Documentary evidence refer to workings from at least the early 18th century. Returns from the 19th century suggest that the mine was highly productive in lead,silver and barytes, employing a considerable workforce (Burt et al 1992).
The workings follow an east to west running vein.
The deep open square stone-lined engine shaft lies to the south of the engine house at SJ08777534.
Two shafts lie to the west of the Engine Shaft, across the lane at SJ08817534 and SJ08837533.
A collapsed shaft appears as a circular depression at SJ08677537.
The New Engine Shaft at SJ08627540 is unfenced and appearing from amid rubble is an iron A-frame, which would have been part of the pumping mechanism.
A collapsed shaft lies at SJ08587537 and other smaller shafts or trials located on the site at SJ08547536, SJ08537536, SJ08507537, SJ08457541, SJ08457537.
The mine closed in 1891 and was re-opened in 1913 for barium minerals, but was abandoned in 1920.
The substantial earthwork remains of an incline, used to transport ore to the dressing floors in the 19th century is better defined on the OS 1963 edition map at SJ08677533-SJ08427544, than it is actually visible on the ground, being now obscured by
The plan of the north boundary of the mine (D/GR/1824) shows the engine house that stands at SJ08777535.
The Cornish Engine House stands to its full height with apex, built of dressed stone presumably to house the 30" pumping engine (Mining Journal 14/1/1871). The three-storeyed house has all its features in a fairly good state of preservation, together with
its cylinder base visible in the bottom chamber, which presumably housed the 30" cylinder. The housing for the accompanying 30ft x 6ft. boiler referred to in the Mining Journal has been demolished.
The lower courses of a square chimney at SJ08777537 survive to approx 1m with a base approx 2-3m square, amidst much rubble.
The 1871 Mining Journal refers to the 30" pumping engine working on site and the fact that the old Whim Shaft had been deepened to become the main Engine Shaft.
Immediately to the west of the shaft and A-frame at SJ08627540, concrete platforms cover an area of some 60 sq metres (SJ08627540) and would have been the foundations of the engine house and pumping apparatus.
The dressing floor areas appear to lie to the south-west of a house called Pennant View, at the end of the incline and the old adit level at SJ08457544. To the west of this and across the old A55, the site of the crusher house, with its millstone-type
crushing wheel remains intact.
The ore bins and picking floors have been lost under the old lane.
The concrete platforms at SJ08607540 are the bases of the barytes mill and jigs, with visible machinery and mounting bolts.
At the north-eastern corner, a raised rectangular platform supports three circular concrete features approx 1.25m diameter and banded by iron hoops. These are the platforms for air receivers.
To the front of the circular features is a cast iron air receiver still in situ.
A rectangular concrete cistern at SJ08577537 approx 5 x 4m and 1.65m deep was associated with the 20th century barytes plant.
The mill was used to separate barytes from zinc ore by roasting.
The stone built cottage at SJ08827537 was the mine office.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies