Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
Talargoch Clive Shaft
Talargoch Clive Shaft
lies in the community of Dyserth in the county of Denbighshire. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ05628000.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 102605 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
Lead/Silver/Zinc (Early 18th century-1905)
The Clive Shaft (SJ05647998) and the Drawing Shaft to the south-west of it occupied the parcel of land mapped as Lletty Mwyn on early maps (Mostyn MSS 1799). The site formed the south-western limit of the mine workings.
The Clive Shaft was sunk 1842-45; it remains brick-lined to the north side of the 100" Grade II Listed Cornish Engine House. The shaft ceased operating in 1883.
To the west are the grassed over foundations of the boiler house.
Drawing Shaft remains fenced off among trees. The area generally comprises of grassed over spoil mounds.
The site was served to the eastern perimeter by the mineral railway.
The Scheduled Engine House is built of dressed limestone. The three-storey house and its very fine architectural features survives on very solid foundations. The internal features include the base of the 100" cylinder and the pit for the plug rods of the
engine. The house bears a date stone for 1860. The Clive Shaft was originally worked with a 50" hydraulic engine; due to its inefficiency the 100" steam engine was installed for pumping, built by the Haigh Foundry, Wigan, with a beam weighing 85 tons.
The boiler house that served the engine had seven 'egg-end' boilers.
In 1885, the engine was sold to Westminster colliery, Gwersyllt. A horizontal engine was also used for the capstan.
The new 1844 leat was costructed to serve the hydraulic engine originall installed at Clive Shaft to drain the western end of the mines. An aquaduct of cast iron pipes took the watercourse westwards to the shaft from a small reservoir.
The leat began its course from a sluice on the Afon Ffyddion being to the west of Pandy Mill Farm at SJ07007920, cut under the Dyserth-Trelawnyd Road by a tunnel and continued around the contours of the hill towards Dyserth Castle.
The dressing floors were to the north of the Clive Shaft area at Maesyrerwddu.
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.