Clwyd Metal Mines Survey
Minera Taylor's Shaft
Minera Taylor's Shaft
lies in the community of Minera in the county of Wrexham. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SJ27005122.
The mine is recorded in the CPAT Historic Environment Record as number 100042 and this number should be quoted in all correspondence.
The Main Vein and the Red Vein in Carboniferous Limestone.
The Taylor's shaft area formed the main centre of mining activity for the Minera Mines from the mid-19th century.
The shaft area lies to the south-western side of the mineral railway track.
Uphill and to the north-west of the Smithy, the Bryn Heulwen Shaft is capped at SJ26835125 with a stone wall surround (PRN 104262).
The line of the 1850s mineral railway, which served the lead mines is clearly visible and forms a public footpath which links all the main shafts to the smelting area at New Brighton.
The foundations of the Taylor's engine house, boiler house and chimney have been partly excavated by the 1993 programme of the Wrexham Maelor Borough Council Reclamation Scheme on Area 3a.
The ashlar base of the 80" cylinder is visible, being the largest engine on the Minera sett.
The balance-box, the capstan-pit, rope trench and the concrete base of the winding engine have all been revealed.
The 80" pumping engine worked the shaft until it was sold in 1910 to Wheal Rodney in Cornwall. A Cornish 15" cylinder engine was on site also, which continued to work until 1908.
The two reservoirs visible along the roadside up to Esclusham Mountain at SJ26205150 supplied water power for the machinery and served the dressing floors of the Minera Mines. The channels and sluices that conducted the water downhill are visible along the
A lower reservoir remains as earthworks to the west of the Taylor's Shaft area; its leat is dried up.
The site of the dressing floor machinery remains on the north-western side of the mineral railway track and includes a battery of ore bins that await excavation and consolidation.
The Manager's Office, main workshops, saw mill, blacksmith' shop, joiner's shop, fitter's shop and stores were all on the main site.
The smithy area lies to the south of Taylor's Shaft on the road up to Esclusham Mountain. The smithy remains in a poor state of repair at SJ27025116 and was apparently also used as a mortuary. The area is outside the present Reclamation scheme.
The foundations remain at basal level of the cottage and enclosed garden at Pant-y-naf, the house built for the workman who was in charge of the reservoirs.
Scheduled 1997 as an example of an outstandingly complete excavated mine, and for group value with other sites. (Cadw 1997).
This HTML page is reproduced from the Powys and Clwyd Metal Mine Surveys which were undertaken between May 1992 and December 1993 by Mark Walters and Pat Frost of the Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust with financial support from Powys County Council, Clwyd County Council and Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments. Further information about this site is available in CPAT's Regional Historic Environment Record.
Page produced by Rachel Stebbings and Chris Martin.
Privacy and cookies